Monday, June 24, 2013

MY FIRST BAPTISM!!


So much to say, so little time!!

 

First, WE HAD A BAPTISM THIS WEEK!!! The Seiti girls were baptized and I can't tell you how happy I was!! I know I didn't teach them all the way through and I kinda "walked into it" but it didn't take long at all to love these girls! I almost gave one of the talks and was trying to be brave about it and just do it, but luckily Sister Hawkins was able to come back for it and so she gave the talk. I just remember sitting there listening to the talks and holding the older girl's hand in absolute bliss while remembering my first day in Durres and how we walked in and she took me by the hand and lead me to the couch. It was so nice to be led in this new world where I didn't feel like I understood anything that was going on (especially that first day). I love these girls and I'm so excited to see where they go with their life. They are extraordinary young people and they will be a great example to their family. 

 


I got to see Motra Wait and Elder Webster from my MTC group at the baptism because their trainers were in Durres before and came to the baptism. It was a happy little reunion with them. They are fantastic missionaries. 

 


ALSO, we had a branch activity and church this week (last week was district conference) and I have to say, I absolutely love these people!! We played musical chairs, pop the balloon tied to feet and other ones too but my favorite was after when we played frisbee. I love that game!! It was a little hard to play in a skirt but I loved it nonetheless. I tried talking to everyone but I'm still struggling in my understanding. Mostly I would just smile. I love talking to the youth! (Probably because quite a few know some English—haha). Everyone was super patient with me and for that I was so grateful. I love this place already. 

 

Another thing, I have never kissed so many people or been kissed by so many people, haha! They definitely do the whole European kiss on each check thing in greeting and in goodbyes. Love these people. People are very close, and personal bubbles don't really exist. Sometimes it’s hard to be so close because it’s so hot, but I love these people so much that it doesn't really bother me. And yes, I know that I just used "so" three times in that one sentence. 

 

Cool thing from study, I was reading Elder Nelson's talk "Catch the Wave" from this past conference and read where he talked about how missionary work right now has a wave of enthusiasm sweeping the earth. When I first heard the talk I thought about my own mission call and how I was going to this country in a far corner of the earth and of my friends that were being called to all kinds of places. But now as I read it, I thought of these people in Albania. The enthusiasm is here too! There was a young man that received his mission call to Italy this week and my companion and I have been working with a young woman to finish her papers as well. This missionary wave truly is sweeping the earth and I am so grateful to be a part of it. 

 

 

I know this is the Lord's work. I know that He helps me every day to be a good missionary! Every day! I know He will help each of us as we do missionary work wherever we are. It’s an exciting thing to assist in His work. I know this church is true and that it brings a happiness into our life that cannot be received any other way!  I love being a missionary!

 

 

Love,

Motra Curtis


No comments:

Post a Comment