Monday, August 5, 2013

Living the missionary life

Well there was some exciting stuff going on this week. 

First, we had our halfway training which means that all the trainers and trainees come for a training to see how things are going and what can be done to make things better. But best of all, it was a time that I got to see my MTC group!! How I love them. Its crazy the bonding that goes on when you are stuck in a classroom almost all day everyday learning a crazy new language with people. There is nothing like it. It was actually the first time I got to see my companion from the MTC, she came a week after us and so I hadn't seen her since I left her in Provo. But it was just great to see everyone! We also went to the embassy to get our permission to stay (since we don't have visas). We set some new goals for the rest of training and then went our ways.

The very next day we had exchanges with the sister training leaders. I stayed in Durres and Sister Wheelock went to Fier. It was fun to see how well I actually knew my way around Durres. We didn't get lost but I'm pretty sure there were a couple times we took the long way...but its all good, right? I was fun to the the one in charge and calling the shots. Sister Morgan was way fun. We made a cake for one of the investigators of the elders and we put flowers in the center of the bunt cake...just for fun. We met probably the cutest little Albanian family I have ever seen but they weren't interested! It always seems to be the people that you think would be such good members are always happy with where they are...there is more happiness to be had! I hope someday that do find it again. We got into the apartment where the family lives that I got a referral from. The power was out so the door was open and we just called out their name. They aren't interested right now but I left a Book of Mormon with them with my testimony in it (In shqip!) I hope the lady who gave me the referral continues to work with them through e-mail (that is how she keeps in contact with them). Once again, I hope another day they are ready. It was a fun exchange.

The very next day after that we had zone training. It was great fun, usually its just us Durres district because we are the north zone and the other areas are too far to come but Shkoder came to this one and the sister training leaders were at it too because they were already here for the exchange. So it seemed to be such a big group. It was fun. There was a lot of great training that went on but the parts I want to share are the funny ones, but don't think that we just joke around the whole time because they really are great training's. But one was when they were comparing the gospel of Jesus Christ to a stained shirt and a washer (because of the scripture that talks about a cleansing agent) I can't remember the details of it and it was slightly confusing but great! The other time we were talking about faith and the man who leaves his dying son to find Jesus to heal his son and one of the zone leaders accidentally said that the son dies (he actually doesn't) everyone jumped in real quick to clarify but it was just funny because we were talking about faith and then the way he said it (and then the son dies anyway). But I saved the best for last. We took a quick break between something and they had us stand up and kinda do the hokey pokey. Then Elder Andrus, one of our older missionaries, starts talking about how when the man who invented the hokey pokey died they had a hard time putting him in the coffin...because he kept sticking his arms and legs out and doing the hokey pokey (you know the joke) but it was just so funny because he could hardly say it because he was laughing so hard. So we all start laughing. At first I was laughing at the joke, then at how hard everyone else was laughing and then just at the situation. We all laughed for a solid 3 minutes. It was great. Sometimes you just need a good laugh as a missionary. 

From then on our week was a little less exciting. We did get our first lesson from street contacting last night, we have an institute center that we can use to teach people in and usually the elders street contact just outside so they can teach a lesson if the person has time. So we tried it and actually got a lesson! We're meeting with him later tonight so that is exciting. He seems interesting in the gospel. Church was great yesterday, I am understanding more and more each week which truly is exciting. 

Also, I think you can still send me free letters on dearelder.com. They print them out at the mission office and then if there is anyone from Durres up there they usually pick them up and bring them down. So you want to try it out :)

My mission address is:

Motra Solana Curtis
Adriatic South Mission
 P.O. Box 2984
Rruga Qemal Stafa, Vila 1
Përballë Postës Nr. 22
Tirana, Albania

I'm so grateful to be a missionary. Its hard work but its good work and there is nowhere else I'd rather be right now than here. I have felt incredibly blessed by the Lord. Look for the Lord's tender mercies in your life and you will find more! I promise you that!

Ju dua!
Motra Curtis

P.s. There is this Albanian song that gets played so much here and is always stuck in my head, look it up if you can I think its called "Ata sy, ata sy, blu blu blu" not sure exactly but they sure say that a lot in the song! Translated its "Her eyes, her eyes, blue blue blue". I'm guessing its real popular here right now... 

Pictures: MTC group reunion and the cake Sister Morgan and I made


No comments:

Post a Comment